Re: [AMBER-Developers] Builds of AMBER 12 with gcc 4.1.2 failing

From: Tyler Luchko <tluchko.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 21:27:46 -0400

On 2012-03-16, at 8:57 PM, Ross Walker wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
>
>> I had explicitly tested this before it seems something has changed.
>>
>> To be clear, are you building from the Git repo or from the tar ball?
>
> This is from the git repo - (git clone gitosis.git.ambermd.org:amber.git) as
> of this morning.

Will the next version of the release be taken from the Git repo or has the released version already forked?

>> configure should have died with an error message and explicit
>> instructions on how to configure without RISM. From your message it
>> sounds like this is not happening. Can you confirm that there is no
>> error message?
>
> Configure doesn't die anymore. It prints the following message:
>
> ./configure gnu

> Obtaining the gnu suite version:
> gcc -v
> The version is 4.1.2
> Skipping the parts of AmberTools that depend on fftw3
>
> and sets $RISM = no

I think we should have a consistent policy as to what happens when some functionality is not available with a particular compiler or whatever. IMO, I think configure should _always_ die with an error message and explicit instructions on how to proceed. My previous error message would return the user's original configure command modified such that RISM would not be built by adding '-norism' and removing any instances of '-rism'. This way they could copy and paste to quickly get to the next step but also knew exactly what functionality was missing.

I will get this working with the current warning message instead of an error message for now. I'll try to get it done tonight but it may be as late as tomorrow morning.

Tyler