[AMBER-Developers] git branches and boost

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:31:11 -0400

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010, Ben Roberts wrote:

> By the way, do you or anyone else have views on the best way to exchange
> changes without necessarily committing them to the master branch? I've
> just uploaded boost-1.38.0 to my local branch, but don't know whether
> it's best to use the master branch on gitosis as a general-purpose
> sandbox for new features...

If you need/want to have others examine your changes, but they are still
experimental, then create a new branch. The gitosis server has branches
like "pbsa-dev" and "rism-dev" already, which serve as test-beds for new
development that can be accessed by people in many locations, but which are
not mature enough to go into the master.

As an aside, I hope that boost is becoming more stable; in the past, it has
not been, and has been the source of incompatibilities among compilers. Be
sure you really need whatever boost functionality you are including. Is it
possible to just include the stuff you need (and not all of any particular
version of boost?)

....dac