Re: [AMBER-Developers] git branches and boost

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:19:41 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:31:11AM -0400, case wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010, Ben Roberts wrote:
> >
> > By the way, do you or anyone else have views on the best way to exchange
> > changes without necessarily committing them to the master branch? I've
> > just uploaded boost-1.38.0 to my local branch, but don't know whether
> > it's best to use the master branch on gitosis as a general-purpose
> > sandbox for new features...
>
> If you need/want to have others examine your changes, but they are still
> experimental, then create a new branch. The gitosis server has branches
> like "pbsa-dev" and "rism-dev" already, which serve as test-beds for new
> development that can be accessed by people in many locations, but which are
> not mature enough to go into the master.

While on the subject of git, can we improve the readability of the
email notifications ? Itd be better if they were as clear and simple
as the cvs notifications.
There are many problems with them; perhaps the most annoying
is the substantial repetition - it seems that whenever a branch is
updated we see duplicates of all the previous commits;
another annoyance is trying to match the comments to the file
since the message only has a cryptic long git revision number
near the comment.

thanks,
scott