Re: [AMBER-Developers] What versions of CUDA toolkit and cards should we support?

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 21:19:01 -0400

On Sun, Apr 04, 2021, Scott Le Grand wrote:

>CUDA 7.5 is a 2015 toolkit and SM 5.x and below
>are deprecated now. SM 6 is a huge jump over SM 5 enabling true virtual
>memory and I suggest deprecating support for SM 5 across the board. SM 7
>and beyond alas mostly complicated warp programming and introduced tensor
>cores which currently seem useless for straight MD, but perfect for running
>AI models inline with MD.
>
>CUDA 8 is a 2017 toolkit. That's way too soon to deprecate IMO ...

We currently (appear to) support CUDA versions 7.5 through 11.2, and SM 3.5
through 8.0. (All CUDA versions are not compatible with all SM's, but
allowed combinations are set by NVIDIA, not by us.)

The argument for SM3 is that there are still K80's out there, although I
think this must be less and less true. There certainly are GTX 980's still
in use, and supporting SM5 would make sense if it doesn't cost anything.
But I'm fine with dropping support for SM5 if it helps us with code
development or maintenance. (If a future user really needs to run on older
cards, they can stick with Amber20.)

The CUDA experts should make the decisions here, not me.

...dac