Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 18:09:42 -0500

Ross,

what's be benefit of thinking AMBER as a whole package rather a suite of
difference packages?

 why do we really need to centralize it? and why pain?

taking cpptraj as example (since people know it):

1. centralized AMBER: if people want to add code to cpptraj
+ clone amber repo
+ make a new branch, make code change, recompile, do a bunch of testings
with different combinations
+ merge to ambe master branch, push to remote

2. github: if people want to add code to cpptraj
+ clone cpptraj repo on github
+ make a new branch, make code change, push to github and let travis do all
the testing. No worry about old computer.
+ Dan will review code, merge code if he thinks ok
+ merge back to amber repo, push to remote.

The only difference I can think of is that package manager (Dan for
cpptraj) needs to approve the code change (which is good) + many advantages
using travis.

Note: If anyone does not like github, they can still edit cpptraj code in
amber repo (but not encouraged to do so).

Hai