Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Ben Roberts <ben.roberts.geek.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:07:45 +1300

Hi guys,

Good to hear the AMBER development is still going strong. I hope you’re all doing well.

Speaking as someone whose current organisation uses GitHub and its private repos, it is possible to manage authentication and authorisation so that only members of particular teams are allowed to see and/or make changes to particular repos. It is not, however, possible to have one singular repo with controlled access to files and directories therein. I’m not sure that there’s any hosted solution that will achieve the latter. If there is, I haven’t heard of it.

If you want access control, how much of an imposition would it be to have separate repos, even if only from a development perspective, knowing that things will still be tarred up for release and the repos will still be under the umbrella of a single organisation?

Cheers,
Ben