Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:14:50 -0800

Good to hear from you Ben. Hope all is good.

> Good to hear the AMBER development is still going strong. I hope you’re all doing well.
>
> Speaking as someone whose current organisation uses GitHub and its private repos, it is possible to manage authentication and authorisation so that only members of particular teams are allowed to see and/or make changes to particular repos. It is not, however, possible to have one singular repo with controlled access to files and directories therein. I’m not sure that there’s any hosted solution that will achieve the latter. If there is, I haven’t heard of it.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I didn't expect it to be possible and I think separate repos would be the way to go but have some way of combining them to a single master repo.

> If you want access control, how much of an imposition would it be to have separate repos, even if only from a development perspective, knowing that things will still be tarred up for release and the repos will still be under the umbrella of a single organisation?

I don't see why could script everything. For example we have a private repo for the complete 'AMBER' suite where we control access. If people want to expose certain programs outside of that repo they do it but we should have something automated which migrates any commits etc into the master repo. This could easily be done at the granularity of every commit - I don't see why not - we'd have to play around a bit with branches to make sure people couldn't just commit stuff to the public repos and have it pulled over into the master repo but that should be a solvable problem.

The key then is are the all the nice features GitHub offers - integration testing etc - worth us paying for the service? Or having our own servers (which also come with a cost but a somewhat hidden one) but running some kind of better software than the simple Linux distro with Gitosis and ssh that we have right now?

Whatever we ultimately decide we should at the very least find a way to automate things here - ideally in both directions - on a per commit basis so we don't force people to have to go use GitHub and close a certain repo instead of a centralized AMBER one.

Maybe a good summer project for a comp sci REU person?

All the best
Ross

/\
\/