Re: [AMBER-Developers] Fwd: Intel MPI in configure?

From: Josh Berryman <the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:10:55 +0200

>>I hope that there is some performance gain that pays dividends for all
this
>>extra complication: we spend a lot of effort to keep track of Intel's
>>ever-changing API's for compilers, MKL and MPI.

At the moment, yes, the gain for me is significant (~20-30% for pmemd).
One of the things that impi seems to do is to set task affinity such that
the kernel scheduler is not constantly (and pointlessly) shuffling the MPI
threads around the different cores.

This is apparently present in oMPI 1.7.4:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/07/openmpi_174_ships/
...but my cluster is still on 1.6.5 and the one that apt-get fetches for my
desktop is 1.4.3.

If its any help to anyone, I got tired of the configure2 logic around using
intel compilers a long time ago, and currently deal with the problem by
running a script like this before I ./configure -mpi intel:

export I_MPI_CXX=icc
export I_MPI_FC=ifort
export I_MPI_CC=icc
export I_MPI_F90=ifort