Re: [AMBER-Developers] New features in pmemd

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:23:37 -0800

David,
When I start seeing global switch tests in inner loops:

        else if ((ti_sc_lst(real_i)+ti_sc_lst(real_j) .eq. 1) .or. &
                 *(emil_sc_lcl .eq. *1 .and.
ti_sc_lst(real_i)+ti_sc_lst(real_j) .ge. 1)) then
          if (ti_lst(1,real_i)+ti_lst(1,real_j) .ge. 1) then !TI region 1

this has always been a reliable warning sign for me in the past that the
overall structure of the code needs reorganization.

The GPU code does this sort of thing at compile time and that's where
decisions like this belong IMO. And it's not any one if/then that is the
problem but rather that these guys tend to reproduce like bunnies once they
appear.

Sure, CPUs are really good at this sort of thing, and outside the inner
loops I don't care about them. But here, I do.

OTOH the more there are, the more I can refactor them out of GPU
incarnations and that's free performance beer.

That and I'm on the verge of rethinking the GPU code itself because so many
assumptions that were valid in 2010 no longer hold.

Scott