Re: [AMBER-Developers] New features in pmemd

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:00:41 -0500

> On Feb 12, 2014, at 9:46 PM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014, Jason Swails wrote:
>>>
>>> What's left in Sander that people crave for in PMEMD?
>>
>> QM/MM.
>
> Certainly, QM/MM is in sander but not pmemd. But do people "crave for it"
> to be added to pmemd? The usual argument is that the QM part quickly becomes
> the time bottleneck, so the fact that MM is faster in pmemd becomes
> irrelevant -- there is little need (yet) to think about porting QM/MM to
> pmemd. (I could be wrong here.)

I was interpreting this question in the context of making pmemd into sander and forking off a more stable version that is more like the Bob Duke days of pmemd cleanliness.

In that case, sander still has a lot to offer that it's not worth discarding for a "sandbox" pmemd. I was certainly not suggesting we port it to pmemd (although I thought about pretending to with a few commits of large blank files and some suggestive commit logs, just to see the fallout :)... But not really).

The rest I agree with.

Happy wintering east coasters