Re: [AMBER-Developers] 12-6-4 LJ Commit.

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 18:03:40 -0500

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> The problem is how to deal with this and yes I fully agree ALL of this
> should have gone in over the last year. I vote once things are locked on
> Friday we have at least another 6 weeks to work on cleaning up pmemd and
> optimizing things ready for release. This may include gutting some stuff.
> Otherwise yes we will just end up with a slow pmemd. :-(

Nooooooo. "We're just about to release, so let's do a major code overhaul."

Famous last words. I vote the "overhaul" comes after release so it's not
rushed and sloppy (nor does it push back Amber 14 to Amber 15). The time
between the freeze and the release should be working out minor issues on
different platforms, not cramming a bunch of issues in just before the
deadline so we can hastily fix them as they manifest in the tests. I've
spent a _lot_ of time fixing bugs post-freeze and pre-release; I'm not a
fan.

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher