Re: [AMBER-Developers] beta of pmemd.cuda.MPI available in git tree

From: Thorsten M Woelfle <twoelfle.sdsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:13:20 +0200

Hi,

On Aug 23, 2010, at 9:48 PM, case wrote:

> I ask because the SDK deviceQuery command returns this:
>
> ./deviceQuery Starting...
>
> CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)
>
> cudaGetDeviceCount FAILED CUDA Driver and Runtime version may be mismatched.
>
> FAILED

Ok, that means either old driver or old binary. I assume you have rebuild the binary with

 cd NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/
 cd C/
make

and nvcc --version looked something like that

 nvcc --version
nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2010 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Mon_Jun__7_18:56:31_PDT_2010
Cuda compilation tools, release 3.1, V0.2.1221

Then you might have an old kernel module loaded.

You should type as root

more /proc/driver/nvidia/version

to give you your running kernel module version, something like

 more /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 256.44 Thu Jul 29 01:22:44 PDT
2010
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.3 (Gentoo 4.4.3-r2 p1.2)

If a different version or nothing is there, unload the kernel module.

rmmod nvidia

The directory /proc/driver/nvidia disappeared.

And load it again:

modprobe nvidia
.

If this is not working you have no kernel module.

Rerun the nvidia_driver.run script and make sure that you have the kernel-sources of you
kernel installed.

The following lines suggest that ...

>> You might also be able to do 'insmod nvidia' if 'lsmod' does not show it
>> loaded.
>
> "lsmod" doesn't show anything related to nvidia. But I don't understand
> linux modules, so I don't know how to use insmod: "/sbin/insmod nvidia"
> just returns "nvidia: no such file or directory".
>
> ...thx...dac

The last thing I can imagine is that the card is not working.

If you have the module loaded, show what is in /dev

 ls -l /dev/ | grep nv
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 Aug 20 11:47 nvidia0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 Aug 20 11:47 nvidiactl

You see the sample output of my system.
Here the users of the card have to be in group video!

If nothing is there, the card is not there, hence hardware/ power supply problem.

Hope I could help.

All the best

Thorsten