[AMBER-Developers] configure_openmpi

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 00:38:18 -0500

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is a specific reason why the
--disable-mpi-f90 flag was put in configure_openmpi. I think I recall
something Professor Case said on this point in a previous thread, but
I can't remember the reasoning exactly. For every MPI I've built (on
Linux and OS X alike), mpif90 has always been built correctly by
default. While I know mpif77 invokes the same compiler (if done
properly), I've always changed FC from mpif77 to mpif90 simply because
it feels more natural to be invoking a fortran90 compiler over a
fortran77 compiler (even though both are fortran90 compilers
technically).

It does, however, have a couple extra flags for my systems:

mpif77 -show
gfortran -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -lpmpich -lmpich -lopa -lpthread

mpif90 -show
gfortran -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib
-lmpichf90 -lmpichf90 -lpmpich -lmpich -lopa -lpthread

Not sure why the redundancies, but mpif90 has extra *stuff*. The main
reason I bring this up is the recent change in configure from mpif77
to mpif90. If this remains, should we take out the --disable-mpi-f90
flag from configure_openmpi (it's not in configure_lam, either)? It'd
probably be wise to keep the two compatible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!