Re: amber-developers: Major change on CVS (for new PIMD implementation)

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:43:51 -0700

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006, Ross Walker wrote:

> A quick test and it seems that sander.PIMD is not being built by default
> either in serial or parallel but the default test suite is setup to run the
> PIMD test cases.

The sander.PIMD executable no longer exists. It does look like the Makefile
in amber10/test needs to be updated. Note that PIMD runs (as I understand it)
now require a parallel build (i.e. use sander.MPI).

Users should note (I hope I am correct here!) that PIMD runs are now set up in
a new way: you use a "classical" (ordinary) prmtop file, and do not need to
process it through addles. The old test cases in amber10/test/pimd_* look to
be obsolete; looks like the new examples are in amber10/test/full_pimd.

Several of us will be working on cleaning up the test directory, but Wei
should take the lead on this.

In addition, presumably(?) the combination of EVB + PIMD does not now work.
EVB + classical MD/minimization should still be OK.

> On another note what is the status of NEB under the new system? Does it need
> to be run with sander.PIMD and I assume sander.PIMD.MPI? Also are things
> linear in memory for this as well?

The idea is that NEB will work under sander.MPI, with a linear memory layout
analogous (identical?) to that used for PIMD.

> On one other note ;-) does this mean a lot the ifdef PIMD stuff will be
> going away?

Yes.

> > simulation type, "ipimd=0" means normal PIMD simulation,
                                    normal (non-PIMD)

...dac