Re: amber-developers: Current CVS Tests Status

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:29:26 -0400

Folks -
Well, I pretty much stay out of the fray on issues of amber code
development, and I don't know that I should voice an opinion, given that I
have pointedly keep pmemd out of the fray and really try to not be involved
in anything where careless checkins will make my life miserable. However, I
would like to voice strong support for English Bob in this little
discussion. By and large, the amber development environment has
uncontrolled interfaces, responsibilities, etc. etc. In my experience in
industry, this is a really bad idea, and you don't often encounter
situations where a half a dozen guys are hacking simultaneously on the same
source files. It's untenable, and the organizational cost of people
stepping on each other is just huge. So given our situation, I think that
"be careful, or else..." is actually a little mild. We really do need, at
some point, to do a better job of factoring the code that is gang-developed,
and defining the interfaces, as it were. I can't afford the time to get
anywhere near it, and besides, being the cop on anything really brings out
the worst in me, and I hate it. So all I can say at this point is that Ross
has every right to complain, that people developing in this environment need
to be very very very careful, and that when you do something that blows away
everybody else, you basically waste a heck of a lot more time that belongs
to other people than you wasted of your own time. At microsoft they
actually made folks who broke the build wear a dunce cap for the day, hoping
the social pressure would get them to clean up their act. By the time I was
there, they had gotten a bit more politically correct, and had reverted to
just having half your management chain and your coworkers come into your
office and take your head off; I expect it affected bonuses also. We should
all take this stuff very seriously.
Regards, and with appreciation to Ross for sweeping up the mess - Bob