RE: amber-developers: Current CVS Tests Status

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:17:44 -0700

Hi Mike and All,

> I have a polite request also. Tone it down, please. Everyone makes
> mistakes, even you. Please keep your comments to constructive and
> to-the-point, at least on this mail list, thanks.

My apologies here. I didn't mean things to sound aggressive.

The rusty spoon stuff was truly meant as a joke but things don't always come
across correctly in emails.

I was also a teensy bit fed up since I had planned to implement some other
things but instead found the 'base' wasn't working. I realise everybody
makes mistakes which is why I think we need a better automated testing
system if anything just so we can spot when things go wrong so they can be
undone / fixed as soon as possible before other conflicting things get
checked in on top of them.

Scott's script is nice and we should probably resurrect it and start using
it on more machines. However, I would like to try setting up a system
whereby the test suite is run and the results are written to a web page that
we can all refer to. This way we can easily see what test cases are failing,
when they started failing etc. I will look into scripting things to do this.
The problem we have at the moment is that the entire test suite does not run
without human intervention. I.e. some of the test cases crash and in so
doing bring down the testing mechanism. For things to work properly we will
need to get these fixed so that at least 'make test' and 'make
test.parallel' will run to completion without having to go in and comment
out certain test cases. Thus even if one of the tests segfaults the testing
should just report and error and continue to the next test case.

As things are at the moment I believe that if a script exits without an
error code of 0 make aborts. The minus sign in front of the line prevents
this behaviour " -cd bintraj; ./Run.bintraj" yes?

If this is correct then do we want to consider setting this behaviour for
every test case? I think this will fix the segfault error. Or can anyone
suggest a better approach?

All the best
Ross

/\