Re: amber-developers: Current CVS Tests Status

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:43:56 -0700

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Ross Walker wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> we should then setup a machine that checks out the CVS tree everynight
> and runs the full test suite both in serial and parallel and reports any
> problems. I have a machine that we can use for this.

There is already a script for nightly testing: test/nightly_test
It was used regularly with amber8, and Ive been meaning to restart it
on pusar ( ./configure sgi_mips )
Since more testing is better testing, I recommend that you use it on
your machine too.

> Then if the next morning we find that somebodies changes broke things in
> either serial or parallel we can unwind those changes.

Unwinding is probably too unilateral; a friendly email to the committer(s)
has worked in the past.

> Can I also 'politely' ask that before ANYBODY checks anything into the cvs
> tree they test everything thoroughly. This means you do a FULL build and run
> all test cases both in SERIAL AND IN PARALLEL... somebody's recent changes

This should be standard operating procedure. (But we humans arent perfect.)
And while the soapbox is available:
please both cvs update frequently and commit your tested development code
frequently. This substantially improves the quality control of Amber.

> Followed by castration with a rusty spoon without anaesthetic ;-)

Ouch, there's a new sheriff in town, he's mean, and his name is English Bob !
err Ross :)

Scott