Re: [AMBER-Developers] Pmemd no longer compiling with older GCC (4.8.5)

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:42:47 -0500

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022, David Case wrote:

>Googling on "cmake minimum gnu version" shows how easy this is to implement
>there: cmake handles the hard part of even finding the GNU version --
>compare this to the 100+ lines of code in the old configure2 script to
>handle this task.

Update: I've pushed a new branch, minimum_compiler_check, that implements
simple checks on g++ and gfortran. The error messages should be expanded
to point users to documentation about how to fix the problem. And, the
check on c++ might be changed to require a specific std-cxx version, but
I don't immediately see how to implement that check right at the beginning
of the cmake run, where it will do the most good.

Dan: can you try this branch on your 4.8.5 system? Think about how we
might make the messages as easy as possible to understand.

...thx...dac