Re: [AMBER-Developers] Pmemd no longer compiling with older GCC (4.8.5)

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 19:53:46 -0500

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022, Dan Roe wrote:

>So my question is do we
>want to fix this for the older fortran compilers (I vote yes since
>4.8.5 still ships with some systems, though not clear for how much
>longer), or are we dropping support for the older compilers (in which
>case cmake/configure needs to trap)?

I think we have to drop support for older compilers. gcc/gfortran 6 seems
almost certainly to be required, for lots of things. FWIW, our CI no
longer uses 4.8.x compilers, which is why these changes were able to be merged.

I just think it's going to be increasing difficult to keep forcing ourselves
to use old compilers. Note this statement from nvidia:

"Note that starting with CUDA 11.0, the minimum recommended GCC compiler is
at least GCC 6 due to C++11 requirements in CUDA libraries".

In Gerald's list, Centos 7 is the only OS he tests that still has 4.8.5.
The installation page for CentOS gives the yum commands to get a more
modern compiler. We already require a bunch of "yum install" commands,
so adding one more doesn't seem like that big a problem (to me...)

Googling on "cmake minimum gnu version" shows how easy this is to implement
there: cmake handles the hard part of even finding the GNU version --
compare this to the 100+ lines of code in the old configure2 script to
handle this task.

I'm open to counter-arguments, but the nvidia limitation, plus the
benefits of having at least compatibility with c++11/Fortran 2003 seem
dispositive to me.

....dac