Re: [AMBER-Developers] Desmond SUX

From: Michael R Shirts <Michael.Shirts.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 20:39:15 +0000

> and they skipped calculating the Ewald Sum every other iteration (thanks Adrian!).

In their semi-defense, IIRC, their default on all DESMOND simulations for a while has been to do multiple timestepping of forces, including Ewald sum every other timestep. It's not entirely clear to me if this is sufficiently accurate, and they definitely should make that clearer that they are doing something different, but it's a valid approach (that more people should be investigating!) and it's not just a sales trick. Not that there aren't also sales tricks out there.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Associate Professor
michael.shirts.colorado.edu
http://www.colorado.edu/lab/shirtsgroup/
Phone: (303) 735-7860
Office: JSCBB C123
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
University of Colorado Boulder