Re: [AMBER-Developers] Desmond SUX

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:48:29 -0700

To me, it's a sales trick until they demonstrate numerical stability to the
level Ross and I did with SPFP and SPDP. Have they? But even if it's not
that stable, at least customers can make an informed choice with such data,
no? Also, how often are they rebuilding the neighbor list? Is it a fixed
interval like GROMACS or is there a skin test?

I am rethinking all this currently and I have friends who think Neighbor
lists are obsolete if we move to higher timesteps and larger nonbond
cutoffs, but that brings us to how do we handle exclusions and that's a
rabbit hole. But... Coincidentally, SPFP's perfect force conservation can
let you add and subtract them if you cap their magnitudes or use some
variant of softcore to control dynamic range. But are they doing anything
like this? Details are everything!