Re: [AMBER-Developers] weird behavior for pmemd.cuda on Volta cards

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 12:17:57 -0500

Note a lot of this performance drop off is due to the card clocking down. This is normally due to it hitting the temperature limit. It was first introduced with Kepler and is super annoying but generally wasn't that drastic. I think it has got worse as the cards have got more powerful and, possibly due to the underlying die area getting larger (more heat?).

It's worse if you don't have good cooling. It's best to put these cards in cases that have ducted front to back cooling. You also likely want to go into the bios and set all the fans at maximum. Finally make sure the inlet air is cool. Tests we did with Pascal when it first came out in the SDSC data center showed about a 3 to 5% boost in the performance plateau from reducing the machine room from a 'yucky' 88F down to 68F. Something that people running machines rooms are not considering when trying to optimize power efficiency.

The other key when benchmarking is to make sure the card is at production temperature before running the benchmarks. For what's on the AMBER website I typically run a validation burn in first for a few hours and then fire up the benchmarks. This gets you a more reliable number since you get the entire node up to the production temperature.

Of course it could also be due to something else but my instinct says it is temperature related.

This is also why I haven't posted benchmark numbers for Volta on the AMBER webpage yet. I am waiting until I have time to benchmark it properly.

All the best
Ross