Re: [AMBER-Developers] weird behavior for pmemd.cuda on Volta cards

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:32:12 -0500

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017, David Case wrote:

> The few developers that have Volta cards have reported markedly different
> speedups vs. Pascal for different benchmarks.
>
> I think these may be related to the following observation: jobs seem to slow
> down the longer they run.

Just a follow-up here: the behavior described above was indeed
hardware/cooling related, and may be specific to our (Rutgers) machine.

The default bios setting on our HP box is for "optimal cooling". Clueless
people like yours truly might think that sounds good; but one actually
wants "maximum cooling". Resetting the bios lowered the temperatures and
greatly increased throughput.

Certainly worth checking if your performance degrades over time as a job runs.

....dac