Re: [AMBER-Developers] PBSA license

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 21:57:31 -0400

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 5:57 PM, David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017, Hai Nguyen wrote:
> >
> > >From AmberTools/LICENSE
> > > The sander and mdgx codes are provided under the GNU Lesser
> > > General Public License, version 3. See GNU_LGPL_v3 in this directory.
> > > (This is to allow libsander and libmdgx to be linked to other
> programs
> > > that might not be licensed under the GNU GPL.)
> >
> > However, for the regular install, libsander is linked to pbsa, which
> holds
> > GPL v3 license.
>

> Can you try to explain this more carefully? I must say I really don't
> understand the objection.
>
> sander and libsander have an LGPL license, which allows libsander to be
> linked
> to programs with lots of license models. There doesn't seem to be any
> problem with linking libsander to pbsa.(?)

Hi,

This is my understanding:
Yes, libsander (LGPL v3) can be linked with libpbsa (GPL v3). But then it
(libsander) will be treated as GLP v3 derived work (since GPL v3 is more
less permissive than LGPL v3). So non-GPL license programs are not allowed
to to link to libsander.

So we either
- make pbsa license as LGPL v3 or more permissive
- or unlink libsander to libpbsa (unlikely)
- make sander/libsander GPL v3 (unlikely since we (e.g: you, ...) want it
as LGPL v3)

> (Is it just a matter that we need to explicitly say that libpbsa is
LGPL?)

yes, that's it.

PS: May be Jason can chime in here. He's good at explaining things (among
others). :D
Hai