Re: [AMBER-Developers] PBSA license

From: David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:57:33 -0500

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017, Hai Nguyen wrote:

> >From AmberTools/LICENSE
> > The sander and mdgx codes are provided under the GNU Lesser
> > General Public License, version 3. See GNU_LGPL_v3 in this directory.
> > (This is to allow libsander and libmdgx to be linked to other programs
> > that might not be licensed under the GNU GPL.)
>
> However, for the regular install, libsander is linked to pbsa, which holds
> GPL v3 license.

Can you try to explain this more carefully? I must say I really don't
understand the objection.

sander and libsander have an LGPL license, which allows libsander to be linked
to programs with lots of license models. There doesn't seem to be any
problem with linking libsander to pbsa.(?)

> Native question: Should we be clear that user should exclude linking to
> pbsa if he/she wants to use LGPL v3?

Same question, can you be more precise in this question? "user should exclude
linking (what?) to pbsa"? Do you mean linking some code to *libpbsa.a*? Can
you give an explicit example of something that seems to be a problem?

...thx...dac

(Is it just a matter that we need to explicitly say that libpbsa is LGPL?)