Re: [AMBER-Developers] gotcha with the current config/install procedure

From: Josh Berryman <the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 14:38:40 +0200

On Fri, May 16, 2014, Josh Berryman wrote:

> ....install amber, no problems now, missing bzip2 but that is not a big
> deal.....

>>Can you say what version of Ubuntu? I think recent versions include
bzip2 by
>>default, but we should maybe tell people to add this, since it won't hurt
if
>>it is already there.

12.04 LTS. The missing package is "libbz2-dev" to be precise (needed by
cpptraj to support this file format). bzip2 the executable is present.
Fair enough not to include headers and so on in the default release.

Maybe a clue to the user saying

 "install the development package for bz2 in order to support i/o of data
compressed in this format"

would be in order, as it is not mission-critical to have this anyway. To
get into saying which distro has "bzlib.h" in which package is probably too
much for AMBER ./configure to be doing.

> "On Ubuntu OS's install the xorg-dev and xorg-server packages."

>>Again, details would be great. How does one install Ubuntu without an X
>>server?

Well, it seemed to boot to some kind of gui just fine untill I installed
"xorg-dev".... and it booted just fine once again after I went to recovery
mode and installed "xorg-server", which is why I would class this as a bug
in ubuntu's package management approach. Canonical are transitioning to
some kind of post-X window manager for their OS so I guess the dependency
managing is all a bit messy just now.

After I'd done a couple of machines I started using the command:

>apt-get install xorg-dev xorg-server

this rebooted without hiccups. How long this bug will last or what has
really caused it I have no idea, but it seems harmless enough to add an
extra package to the dependencies, especially given that the levels of
default X-iness present in ubuntu is going to drop sharply in the next few
releases.

>>The best place to fix is here:

>> http://ambermd.org/ubuntu.html

>>OS-specific things don't really belong in configure2, in my view. Package
>>names are different on every version of Linux, things get out of date
quickly,
>>etc.

But if they are there already they should be kept up to date, plus most
distros don't have the X11 development stuff installed by default so every
new user who wants Xleap is going to have to go through this, and the CL
hand-holding that has started to make its appearance seems to me like a
fairly good idea.

Of course I'll update the wwebpage too.

Josh