Re: [AMBER-Developers] files missing from amber_web repo

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:36:20 -0500

On Thu, 2014-03-06 at 16:18 +0100, Josh Berryman wrote:
> Did someone
> just forget to add them?

Forgot to add them on purpose :). I asked Dave that same question a few
years ago and he said the repo would be way too big if every file was
tracked.

All the best,
Jason

An aside: This seems like it would be a great use case for "git-annex"
but I haven't quite wrapped my head around how git-annex would work
here. For the interested, git-annex is a way to track files without
storing their contents (but it keeps track of _where_ those files are so
they could be retrieved if requested). Given that I think (??) most
developers' familiarity with git is either at or below mine, I'm
hesitant to push git stuff on people that I don't really understand
enough to use or write a short tutorial for.

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher