Re: [AMBER-Developers] New features in pmemd

From: Duke, Robert E Jr <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 05:19:42 +0000

 Well, flawed in the sense of "hard to fund...". I had to drop pmemd because I couldn't work on it full time without funding, and really needed to work on it a fair bit to keep it moving. I would argue that you can get better software from a smaller team, and the model of having somebody actualize the final code is not all that flawed, aside from the funding problem (I know, a big "aside"). Separating the science from performance-critical software dev is not a bad idea in many many ways. Just my opinion, but I view the software, taken to the limits, as a specialty you guys typically don't have time for...
Regards - Bob (and Hi! Scott B.)
(and I completely understand Scott L.'s issues with just anything getting shoved into performance-critical regions - it is a much harder thing to keep the bloody thing fast than I think is widely appreciated..)