Re: [AMBER-Developers] mdgx netcdf dependency

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:42:41 -0500

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014, Josh Berryman wrote:

> Hello, I just built the head with these flags:
>
> ./configure -noX11 -nobintraj gnu
> make -j 8 install
>
> and the mdgx build failed at link time with:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnetcdf
>
> ...which is not surprising given that "-lnetcdf" (and -lfftw3) are
> hard coded in the mdgx Makefile.
>
> I've just switched this to $(NETCDFLIB) and $(FLIBS_FFTW3) . Anyone
> who knows more about (mdgx/AmberTools/life) should change it back
> again quick if they think that I have only made things worse here.

No...this won't work. The libmdgx.so target needs to have a relocatable
netcdf (so that it can be linked to python code), but $(NETCDFLIB) generally
points to libnetcdf.a.

My vote would be to remove the -nobintraj option. We've been using bintraj
for trajectories for years and now use it for restarts as well. I think
features of REMD require it. So: why do you want to use that option?

It's possible to add a lot of extra logic to configure2, and yet more
defines in config.h. But you can see the problems that arise when there
are flags (like -nobintraj) that are almost never used. Do you have no
workaround?

...dac