Re: [AMBER-Developers] Ideas about a reorganization of the Amber manuals

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:54:15 -0500

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> >
> > About the manual, I don't know what was discussed in the Amber Meeting
> but,
> > just in case it wasn't discussed, I'd like to suggest adding an online
> > version (wiki maybe?). My guess is that it will be far more used than any
> > print or pdf version.
>
> We can make an html version, although (depending on how it is done)
> it's a fair amount of work, especially in getting the figures, equations,
> cross-references to be both correct and to look good.

FWIW I just opened up the AmberTools.lyx file and exported it via LyXHTML.
 The result was pretty awful. A LaTeX expert could probably work
something into the LyX preamble or convert from LyX to LaTeX and work some
magic to create a nice-looking website.

Personally I'm a fan of what NAMD has with their HTML manual:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.9/ug/ so I can see the allure.

I think Dave's comment that it would be laborious is accurate. Also, since
we have a hard enough time maintaining one version of the documentation,
having multiple versions laying around is a recipe for disaster. A person
with one watch always knows what time it is, but someone with two is never
sure. Ergo, I think a Wiki-manual is not feasible and any HTML version
should be auto-generated from the LyX documentation in some (Makefile-y)
way. That's my opinion, anyway.

> I've generally thought that people would use the pdf version as a
> searchable,
>
> on-line manual. But thinking about other formats is worthwhile.

How about a jpeg?

All the best,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University