Re: [AMBER-Developers] addIonsRand command segfaulting

From: Robin Betz <rbetz.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:22:57 -0800

Hi, I found the problem :)

addIonsRand replaces random solvent molecules with ions, and to grab a
solvent molecule's position uses its imaging atom. The problem is that for
some reason TIP4P water doesn't have an imaging atom. In solvent.lib the
entries for TIP4PEWBOX and TIP4PBOX have an imaging atom index of 0:

!entry.TIP4PEWBOX.unit.residues table str name int seq int childseq int
startatomx str restype int imagingx
 "WAT" 1 5 1 "w" 0
 "WAT" 10002 5 5 "w" 0
 "WAT" 20003 5 9 "w" 0
... etc

Is this the expected behavior for TIP4 water? I am not sure what the
imaging atom is actually used for as I was just using it to grab the
position of a solvent molecule. From looking at the code I was under the
impression that all water molecules should have an imaging atom.

The TIP3PBOX gives an imaging atom for each water molecule:

!entry.TIP3PBOX.unit.residues table str name int seq int childseq int
startatomx str restype int imagingx
 "WAT" 1 4 1 "w" 1
 "WAT" 2 4 4 "w" 4

... etc

I can make addIonsRand get the solvent molecules another way if this is the
expected behavior for TIP4P boxes.

Robin