Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] Installation of Amber in Cygwin

From: Taisung Lee <taisung.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:25:04 -0400

Dear All,

        I am running Fedora 16 (as the guest OS) w/ Oracle Virtual Box (Window 7 as the host OS) on my laptop. It is pretty easy to install Amber and do coding, just same as on a regular Linux box. I think it is a much better approach than Cygwin. Two things may need to be mentioned:

        1. memory: you basically need memory for two machines (I got 16GB on my laptop).
        2. Amber cannot be installed on a shared folder since soft-link doesn't work. Hence you cannot direct see Amber from Windows and Fedora at the same time via the VirtualBox shared-folder mechanism. My solution is: installed a "local" network and run a samba server on Fedora and a client on Windows.

        I only have one version of gcc installed.....

        Just some of my experience.

Taisung