Re: [AMBER-Developers] IPS in pmemd

From: Romelia Salomon <romelia.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:04:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave

What Ross said is absolutely correct. When we were implementing ips we
decided that, to avoid evaluating an if statement continuously inside the
non-bonding loop, we would only support ips=1. Originally we did have an
implementation that supported the extra options, however, this decision
improved the performance significantly and we thought people using ips in
pmemd would benefit more from this than from having the extra flexibility.

As Ross, I also don't think having ips for VdW should be a problem,
specially since vdw decays faster than the electrostatic interactions,
which again was our reasoning for implementing it this way. I agree the
manual does not reflect that information and I will correct it. The code
however does exit with the proper error if ips is set to other than 0 or 1
so users should never be able to run into a problem.

Here I am copying an extract of an email I sent Ross at that time with the
timings for ips vs pme. I ran the bemchmark calculations on Trestles up to
64 processors for JAC using the JAC_production_NVT files and here is a
little table of the Master total CPU time. I also checked ips in pmemd vs
sander (there is a test case in Amber that is used for both). I tested
that my addition of IPS wouldn't affect a regular PME run as well as shows
in columns PME-orig and PME-new.

_______begin message_________

"... I added the changes to pairs_calc_novec.i and pme_direct.fpp to avoid
having a bunch of if's for each pair of atoms..." "The only thing to keep
in mind with this implementation is that we can't have "mixed" situations
in which we only calculate the electrostatics or the vdw with ips, it is
an all or nothing implementation, so if you choose ips you have to go with
both as opposed to how I had it before that you could use ips only for one
of them (it is like that in sander)."

  #procs NO-longrange PME-orig PME-new IPS-new
    4 409.21 553.72 550.47 475.03
    8 219.93 290.28 291.92 250.88
   16 127.92 159.21 159.51 144.96
   32 75.23 91.02 90.19 79.76
   64 73.58 79.80 79.22 73.35

______end message______

Hope this helps! Please do let me know what you think and if you believe
we should revert the implementation allowing for the extra cases. As I
said before the only thing to correct is that the manual should mention,
and I will correct it to do so, that pmemd only supports the most useful
case, ips=1, for performance reasons.

Best,
Romelia