Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] Installation of Amber in Cygwin

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:57:13 -0400

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012, 钟舜 wrote:

> It still doesn't work after adding "-nomtkpp" flag. And I
> decide to give the installation in Cygwin up.

Does anyone on the list have experience with using VirtualBox on windows
to install a linux guest? I don't mean some computer wizard who might
qualify to be in the Walker group, but some ordinary person who just
follows directions and doesn't want to (or know how to) Google too many
error messages. I'm wondering if we should make that a primary (or
alternate) recommended pathway for Windows users. [Not giving up on
Cygwin, but allowing people an option.]

There used to be a "portable Ubuntu" that installed itself as a regular
Windows application (basically behaving like a bundled VirtualBox), but that
seems to have disappeard. Modifying a windows machine to dual-boot Linux
is pretty straightforward, but I hate dual-boots and would hesitate to
recommend that to others. (Again, the target audience here is not someone who
runs GenToo and has 6 different versions of gcc installed.)

Suggestions are welcome...I haven't had access to a windows machine to try
things out on for a coon's age. (I do have a virtual box with Windows XP
running, so I can test cygwin; but not having to support that option might be
a plus.)

...thx...dac