Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] Installation of Amber in Cygwin

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:35:07 -0400

I know I'm not the 'target audience', but I have done it on a Windows
machine for a group mate who was still stuck in the dark ages ;).

It is as straightforward as VirtualBox can be. There's a windows installer
for Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) which you
download and double-click and click through all of the OKs. Then it's no
different than using it on Linux.

However, I think the OP borked something in his attempts to get it working,
and if he just erased amber12/, unpacked a new version, and rebased like
Dan suggested, I'll bet it starts working, but at this stage I can
understand his/her frustration...

All the best,
Jason

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012, 钟舜 wrote:
>
> > It still doesn't work after adding "-nomtkpp" flag. And I
> > decide to give the installation in Cygwin up.
>
> Does anyone on the list have experience with using VirtualBox on windows
> to install a linux guest? I don't mean some computer wizard who might
> qualify to be in the Walker group, but some ordinary person who just
> follows directions and doesn't want to (or know how to) Google too many
> error messages. I'm wondering if we should make that a primary (or
> alternate) recommended pathway for Windows users. [Not giving up on
> Cygwin, but allowing people an option.]
>
> There used to be a "portable Ubuntu" that installed itself as a regular
> Windows application (basically behaving like a bundled VirtualBox), but
> that
> seems to have disappeard. Modifying a windows machine to dual-boot Linux
> is pretty straightforward, but I hate dual-boots and would hesitate to
> recommend that to others. (Again, the target audience here is not someone
> who
> runs GenToo and has 6 different versions of gcc installed.)
>
> Suggestions are welcome...I haven't had access to a windows machine to try
> things out on for a coon's age. (I do have a virtual box with Windows XP
> running, so I can test cygwin; but not having to support that option might
> be
> a plus.)
>
> ...thx...dac

Quantum Theory Project,