Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] ATTN GLYCAM users: CY atom type work around

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:38:13 +0000

Selected excerpts from results of the following commands are listed below:
  cd amber.git/dat/leap
  grep -r -w CY * > /home/lachele/amber.git.grep-CY

In the cmd directory (ignoring "oldff"):

cmd/leaprc.GLYCAM_06: { "CY" "C" "sp3" }
cmd/leaprc.ff02pol.r1: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff02polEP.r1: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff03.r1: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff03ua: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff10: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff99SB: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff99bsc0: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ffAM1: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ffPM3: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff99SBildn: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }
cmd/leaprc.ff99SBnmr: { "CY" "C" "sp2" }

In the parm directory, it is defined in:

parm/GLYCAM_04l.dat:CY 12.01 sp3 C aliphatic - for sialic acid only!
parm/GLYCAM_06EPa.dat:C C* CA CB CC CN CM CK CQ CW CV CR CA CX CY CD
parm/GLYCAM_06g.dat:CY 12.01 sp3 C aliphatic - for sialic acid only!
parm/opls_parm.dat:CY 12.01
parm/parm10.dat:CY 12.01 0.360 nitrile C (Howard et al.JCC,16,243,1995)
parm/parm91.dat:CY 13.02 ?
parm/parm94.dat:C C* CA CB CC CN CM CK CQ CW CV CR CX CY CD
parm/parm96.dat:C C* CA CB CC CN CM CK CQ CW CV CR CA CX CY CD
parm/parm98.dat:C C* CA CB CC CN CM CK CQ CW CV CR CA CX CY CD
parm/parm99.dat:CY 12.01 0.360 nitrile C (Howard et al.JCC,16,243,1995)
parm/parm99EP.dat:CY 12.01 0.360 nitrile C (Howard et al.JCC,16,243,1995)
parm/parmAM1.dat:C C* CA CB CC CN CM CK CQ CW CV CR CA CX CY CD
parm/parmPM3.dat:C C* CA CB CC CN CM CK CQ CW CV CR CA CX CY CD

Most of those redefinitions aren't a problem. You wouldn't normally expect to use two different protein force fields at once (tho I suppose someone might if different molecule classes were better treated in each). But several, like those in parms 91, 94, 96 and 98 (and some others like GLYCAM06EP) seem pointless. In fact, for the GLYCAM06EP, it's probably a bad thing since it is being equated to atom type C, which is sp2 (and CY is sp3 for glycam).

I think, in a number of these cases, certainly for glycam06ep, when parameter sets are copied over and edited, people haven't thought to delete unused information. As we start to simulate larger systems, though, ff combinations are likely to happen more often, so removal of extra stuff could become more important.

:-) Lachele

Dr. B. Lachele Foley
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center
The University of Georgia