Re: [AMBER-Developers] ntb vs ifbox?

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 19:28:10 -0800

That should work and, hopefully, not that many users are as innovative as
you are :).
But I like Dave's idea better.

Right now, sander quits when ifbox=0/ntp<>0/ntb<>0. We just need to
strengthen this by adding ifbox<>0/ntb=0 and make sure it is compatible
with the test cases (need to update the test suite).

Another thing that I often feel somewhat confusing is the ntx. I think the
manual and behavior are actually inconsistent. Sander takes the box
information at the end of restart, regardless of ntx, so long as ntb>0
(see ew_setup.f:load_ewald_info()). This is the desired behavior. But the
manual implies otherwise (there is also a typo), as if the user has the
freedom to choose to use the box information or not by setting ntx=7 or
ntx=5. In reality, they donšt. So, we need to update the manual to avoid
giving users false sense of freedom and empowerment :).

If above is true, ntx's function is pretty much limited to reading the
velocities (and formatted/netCDF restart files). But, irest controls the
use of velocities. Therefore, the only role that ntx plays is to
differentiate formatted or netCDF restart files. For this simple function,
it sounds awfully complicated to have so many useless choices.

--
Yong Duan, Ph.D, Professor
UC Davis Genome Center and