Re: [AMBER-Developers] Amber on Live-CD?

From: <istvan.kolossvary.hu>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:03:41 +0100

Hi,

I have been through this with Desmond workshops. We tested both
Live-CD and bootable USB, but could not get either to work reliably.
We ended up creating an Amazon cloud image with full installation,
data files, etc. Every time I have a workshop, all I need from the
participants is a laptop or desktop computer with decent internet
access and they work interactively on Amazon instances through VNC
that I create from the image for the duration of the workshop. It is
read-only in the sense that they cannot copy anything from the image,
but they can run actual jobs on the running instance. Ever since we
have this setup I love it and the participants also like it very much.
  There is an associated cost involved, though, using a 2-core fairly
fast machine it is about $0.30 an hour, and an 8-core super fast node
is about $1.30 an hour. In case you consider this solution I can tell
you more about it.

    Istvan