Re: [AMBER-Developers] Amber on Live-CD?

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:28:34 -0500

On 11/29/11 1:26 PM, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am planning a class on molecular dynamics applications, and was
> thinking on having an Amber installation on a Linux Live-CD, so that
> it could be installed on the computers to be used by the student
> during the class, and making sure all students have exactly the same
> environment.
>
> Notice the students will not take the CDs home with them... It's just
> to easily prepare a computer on a lab for the class. A kind of a
> portable Amber Workshop, if you will.
>
> So, I was wondering:
>
> 1. Is there any legal / licencing issues I should be aware of?
I think it is ok. Certianly, if you get the disks back, there should be
no issue at all.

> 2. Any ideas on what Linux distribution would be better suited for this CD?
>
> 3. Has anyone done anything like that before and would be willing to
> share the experience?

Jason did something for our Barcelona workshop and he might be able to
help. We tried bootable usb drives, and they did not work too well, but
did the job. The issue was the quality of the drives, and people not
ejecting them 'properly'

Adrian

> Thanks a lot,
> Gustavo Seabra
> Professor Adjunto
> Departamento de Química Fundamental
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
> Fone: +55-81-2126-7417

                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                                  Professor
                Quantum Theory Project, Department of Chemistry
                            University of Florida
                              roitberg.ufl.edu