[AMBER-Developers] Cruise Control

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:25:15 -0800

> If we see cruise control as a helpful tool to automate our testing (on
> multiple platforms) rather than a strict babysitter looking for any
> reason
> to shame and punish us, then I'll definitely agree with Ross here.

Agreed - I think we should all see it as this. Note though that a little bit
of shame is a good thing as long as people are thick enough skinned and
don't take it personally. Indeed this is a good defense mechanism to learn
in science since a thick skin is needed when reading the reviews of ones
grant proposals.

It catalyzes people to fix things. We now have GCC 4.1 working again for
example. :-)

> As an aside, we need some kind of mechanism, IMO, to guard against a
> hung
> program on cruise control. What happens if there's some kind of race
> condition that leads to threads waiting at some barrier that will never
> be
> answered? I can attest that this is very easy to accomplish using MPI.

I need to look at what Cruise Control actually does here. It is pretty easy
to accomplish. We just have to set a global maximum user time per process
for the cruisecontrol user. If a job runs for longer than this it gets
killed. I am sure there must be a module / mechanism for CruiseControl to
handle this though. I guess we'll find out when we run into it.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/