Re: [AMBER-Developers] Linking Amber and AmberTools together--GPL issues?

From: Timothy Giese <timothyjgiese.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:01:21 -0400

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:56 AM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011, Timothy Giese wrote:
>
>> If parts of AMBERTools were compiled with amber proper to create an
>> amber executable in which both parts of code shared the same address
>> space, then both AMBERTools and amber-proper are bound by the terms of
>> the gpl.
>
> Not quite:  we actually offer AmberTools under a dual license.  One is GPL
> which is available to everyone.  The second is to Amber, and authorizes
> Amber to link AmberTools into the non-GPL Amber code.
>
> It's actually rather common to have the same code licensed in two ways like
> this.
>
> ...dac

So, anything that anyone adds to AmberTools under the guise of the gpl
is automagically licensed under something else as well? If you owned
the copyright - you can change the license however you want - sure.
But if a gpl code is accepting contributions without a copyright
contract from contributors, then you wouldn't seem to have the right
to dual license those contributions. I would have guessed that the
point of gpl-ing ambertools would be to avoid the headache of dealing
with that legal headache.

-Tim