Re: [AMBER-Developers] Experiences with sleap

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:51:14 -0400

As I understand it, sleap was intended to replace (and extend) tleap, which
was written back in the 80s (?) to combine link, edit, and parm (hence
LEaP). An x widget set was written for it shortly afterwards and xleap was
born (still > 20 years ago at this point, yes?). At first, the prmtops it
wrote couldn't be trusted, so tec3 wrote rdparm (later extended to ptraj)
because prmtops for even the simplest systems are unreadable by direct
inspection. Eventually these bugs all got worked out and tleap was great
(compared to its predecessors), however, it had some shortcomings, and the
GUI is at this point ancient and clunky.

So sleap/gleap was born in 2007(?), determined to fix these issues and
update the GUI set to use GTK to create a better, modern GUI built on a
leap that had expanded functionality. If this is more or less right, then
my analysis of this is that sleap is not a finished product. It still has
issues creeping up (see the Woods group posts to the dev list when they
needed sleap for variable 1-4 scaling for GLYCAM), to the point that they
hacked variable 1-4 scaling into tleap so they could stop using sleap. The
last sleap commit I've seen to the tree was July (just a maintenance commit
to accommodate data file changes), so it would appear as though there's no
current plans to complete sleap. As it stands now, should we continue to
build and release sleap by default when there are several bits of advice
sent out *not* to use sleap because it's unreliable? Is it even still
being developed?

(I use it on occasion where I'm doing weird stuff that causes a tleap
segfault, but sleap handles OK, but I just use tleap now).

All the best,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida