[AMBER-Developers] recommended compilers for MacOSX

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:03:52 -0400

Hi everyone:

I'm starting to see comments (so far, sent to me personally) about
compiler/OS combinations that fail for MacOSX. I hadn't looked at
http://amberonmac.blogspot.com/ for a while, but that looks like some good
info. But I'd like to get developers' input on known "good" combinations
for gnu compilers (no intel, pgi, etc for now please).

For example, in spite of Mengjuei's bad-mouthing of mac ports, I've never had
problems there. For me, with Mac OS 10.6.6, I use mac ports gcc44 (i.e.
/opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.4) and corresponding gfortran. I've never seen any
problems, and downloading/installing them was supersimple, so I'd be tended to
recommend that path.

Mengjuei indicates that the gcc+gfortran package at hpc.sf.net works for him
(no OS revision is indicated). The amberonmac blog cited above has pretty
complete details.

What else seems to work? Is anyone running 10.6.7? I am still afraid to
upgrade, although with all the virtual machines around these days it probably
would not be that bad.

Also, if anyone is still at 10.5 and has recommendations there, I'd appreciate
it. (Again: for me I went with mac ports from the very beginning, and never
saw the problems other people are seeing.)

Also, if you have examples of specific error messages that arise when "bad"
compilers are used, we might try to keep a registry of those somewhere, to
help people out who run into them.

Comments from "real" mac people are welcome.

...thx...dac