Re: [AMBER-Developers] multi-pmemd

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 07:44:45 -0700

Just to elaborate here as to my plans a little bit. The way I envision this
going is that each "type" of exchange gets its own subroutine where it
calculates what needs to be calculated and determines the exchange criteria
(and success), updates each replica as necessary, then kicks back to the MD
loop. All the "multi-D" REMD will do is determine which dimension will be
exchanged within, determine which "type" of exchange that is, and call the
appropriate subroutine to do it.

Therefore, the natural progression is to implement T-REMD, H-REMD, then
multi-D REMD. Just a minor modification to what Adrian has said, H-REMD
*should* be able to handle both different H's and different (or identical)
Ts. I have to work the detailed balance equations out to make sure that all
of them can fit within the same subroutine.

In fact, I think you *should* even be able to do T-REMD through the H-REMD
subroutine, but that's wasteful in the sense that it has to send/receive
coordinates AND calculate energies during the exchange attempt, which are
completely unnecessary for T-REMD. This performance difference is marked
enough to demand its own subroutine.

But this approach allows me to implement bits at a time in a non-general
way, verify that it does what I want it to do, then build the next layer of
generality.

All the best,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,