Re: [AMBER-Developers] AT1.5 5apr11

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 21:33:40 -0700

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:03 PM, B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu> wrote:

> I did this, too (but figgered it out). Maybe the compile should fail if
> $AMBERHOME is not set? That might do a lot of good in general -- alert
> users to the importance of the setting.

It's easy enough to check that AMBERHOME is set -- but that it's set
correctly? You could drop a check in configure to make sure that it's not
set *incorrectly* and force you to either set it properly or unset it, but
what's the benefit here? How many users do we think will actually have
cause to set it incorrectly (i.e. at a different amber) besides developers?

All the best,
Jason

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:54 PM, Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu> wrote:
>

> > Re: "my bad" $AMBERHOME not set appropriately...
> >
> > (bad news: experienced user == trusting idiot / not so experienced)
> > (good news: we now know what happens if you do not set $AMBERHOME)
> >
> > I apologize for the hassle and frustration especially as release is
> > pending. What I did was simply extract the tarball, configure intel and
> > make install. Nothing else. I uncovered the python issue and then
> > started to blindly dig on multiple machines (like kraken, exposing other
> > issues that we still should resolve).
> >
> > I think, however, that Jason nailed it. I wasn't setting $AMBERHOME and
> > had assumed that it was automagically set. As this had been set
> > automatically previously, I assumed it was set in the current install
> > scripts and I was incorrect in this assumption. [It may be beneficial
> > behavior however to reset AMBERHOME automatically however!].
> >
> > The only upside is that perhaps we now know what errors people will see
> if
> > they do not set AMBERHOME correctly; perhaps this has not been a total
> > waste of all of our time...
> >
> > I went back and did it all over again, this time with $AMBERHOME set
> > appropriately and after the wait for recompile, it all worked fine.
> >
> > --tom

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate