Re: [AMBER-Developers] AT1.5 5apr11

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:51:47 -0700

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:31 AM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 07, 2011, Thomas Cheatham III wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jason and DAC, in case you haven't seen this, I was trying to install
> > the latest AT1.5 5apr11 tar and ran into an error on make install (after
> > configure intel). I tried to clean, configure and make again with the
> > same error appearing... Also saw the problem with gnu below on this
> > machine and also on kraken.
>
> Please post these messages to amber-developers.
>
> > With configure gnu I get:
> >
> > /uufs/
> chpc.utah.edu/common/home/u0181375/tmp/amber11/lib/libfftw3.a(vrank3-transpose.o)<http://chpc.utah.edu/common/home/u0181375/tmp/amber11/lib/libfftw3.a%28vrank3-transpose.o%29>
> :
> > In function `apply_toms513':
> > vrank3-transpose.c:(.text+0xe47): undefined reference to
> > `_intel_fast_memset'
>
> Can you check the date of amber11/lib/libfftw3.a? It must be left over
> from
> the intel compile. When you change compilers, you currently have to do a
> "make uninstall" (not just a "make clean").

I didn't realize this.

> 1. Can you see if "make uninstall" solves the problem?
> 2. We should either document this, or change the "make clean" target.
> I rather favor the former: asking people to do a "make uninstall" before
> changing compilers makes sense. Note that most people will actually go
> to a different tree to test different compilers.

My 2c would actually favor the "make clean" route, as this is what I would
describe as expected behavior based on "clean" and "uninstall" conventions.
I expect a "make clean" to remove everything except shared libs and
installed binaries (that have been moved from the source directory). Why
does it require an uninstall, anyway? Does fftw's clean rule not clean
everything, or do we put its binaries somewhere inside fftw that's causing
the issues? Or is it because the "clean" doesn't get rid of the fftw lib in
$AMBERHOME/lib? If it's that last reason, then why doesn't fftw just
rebuild the library and put the compatible one on top?

Not sure what the exchange rate for grad-student $$ is nowadays, but there
it is :)

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida