Re: [AMBER-Developers] Should "make clean" remove ../../bin/python?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:19:14 -0500

Hi Dan,

Python should build all of the standard libraries in
$AMBERHOME/lib/python2.6 (for mac it's in a framework directory) that "make
clean" shouldn't (and doesn't, on my systems) blow away. The stdlib is
still intact, I think. Looking at the Makefile in the Python source
directory, it looks like the only thing that happens is in the . directory.

The reason behind the test is that Python take a while to build and it'd be
nice to avoid doing that if it's already there. Can you list some of the
systems that you saw this behavior with? I don't see it on Mac or Ubuntu
Linux.

Thanks!
Jason

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been testing out Amber with a bunch of compilers and have come
> across a small issue. The configure script will not call for the
> bundled python to be built if "../../bin/python" exists. Since "make
> clean" doesn't get rid of '../../bin/python' but does clean the python
> directory I think what happens is that all of the python modules get
> blown away and don't get rebuilt (thus causing re-compilations to
> fail). So I think either 'make clean' should remove the python binary,
> or if the intention was to not have to rebuild python all the time
> configure should test whether the necessary modules can be imported
> instead of whether ../../bin/python exists.
>
> -Dan

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate