Re: [AMBER-Developers] Is PGI + mpi built statically by default?

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:07:16 -0400

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010, Lachele Foley wrote:

> I was just wondering if you know how I can easily configure
> the Amber11 installation to use shared libraries. When I look
> at the configure file in the AmberTools/src directory, it seems
> to me that the default compilation should use shared libs and
> the addition of the -static option would cause static linking.
> However, I configured with
>
> ./configure -mpi pgi
>
> and the build uses static linking. I guess I could change the
> config.h file manually to add -fPIC in the appropriate flags
> and -shared in the final link step, but I thought perhaps there
> is already an option to get this configuration done automatically.

When it sees "-static", Amber's configure script adds "-Bstatic" to the pgi
loader flags, and not much else. The opposite of "-Bstatic" for pgi seems
to be "-Bdynamic". I'm not clear on the distinction pgi makes between
"shared" and "dynamic", but my ignorance is not very surprising.

The short answer is that editing the config.h file as outlined above is
what is needed here, and in other cases where our configure script doesn't do
the right thing. We also welcome suggestions from users about what the
configure script *should* do, especially since I don't think many Amber
developers are using PGI.

...thanks....dac