[AMBER-Developers] Is PGI + mpi built statically by default?

From: Lachele Foley <lfoley.ccrc.uga.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:37:58 -0400

Some local folks are installing Amber for us to use on a Dell system running RHEL 4 with Xeon cpu's & PGI compilers.

I got the following question, and I don't know how to answer. Obviously, she thinks the -mpi pgi option is compiling statically by default. I agree with her that it shouldn't be. I'm trusting that she knows her system well enough to know how the compilation happened.

I was just wondering if you know how I can easily configure
the Amber11 installation to use shared libraries. When I look
at the configure file in the AmberTools/src directory, it seems
to me that the default compilation should use shared libs and
the addition of the -static option would cause static linking.
However, I configured with

     ./configure -mpi pgi

and the build uses static linking. I guess I could change the
config.h file manually to add -fPIC in the appropriate flags
and -shared in the final link step, but I thought perhaps there
is already an option to get this configuration done automatically.

The reason I would prefer to use shared libs is that right now
we don't have the static version of some Infiniband libraries
(though I can also see if we could get those installed).

:-) Lachele
--
B. Lachele Foley, PhD '92,'02
Assistant Research Scientist