Re: [AMBER-Developers] New Patch Procedures...

From: Lachele Foley <lfoley.ccrc.uga.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 18:03:42 -0400

> I don't understand. If you have "them set up separately" how did you do it?
> How do keep them (two?) in sync with each other? What makes it "safer and
> saner"? Basically, I don't understand how you have things set up for
> glylib.

I sort-of copied the idea from here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#public-repositories

See the diagram just a short scroll down.

The only difference is that instead of "your public repo" I have one central "deposit repo," and I pull from there to the main repo. I chose the slight alteration because not everyone has a computer that has public access from which I can pull -- and to limit the number of places I had to pull from. Our web designer set up the web site differently, so it's not the only way.

Honestly, when I set it up I was thoroughly confused and groping around, but what that means is that if something really screwy gets pushed to the "depository" (as in makes the repo behave badly -- not just a coding error), people can still clone from the public repo without cloning the screwy bits.

If curious, here's our docs: http://128.192.9.183/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIT
   (the IP address not for public sharing, please)
Also, read those docs with the thought "produced on a crisis-to-crisis basis" in mind.
Feel free to steal/share any of the text/docs if you like them.

> Both the "master" branch and the "amber11" branch are definitely there, but
> maybe there is some additional incantation needed to get them both -- does
> "git clone" only get the master branch? Can any git guru help Jason out here?

I am *NOT* a guru, but... Are they different? I think you have to pull from both, and say where they're being pulled to, and then merge them together if you pull to different places. But, I can't recall off the top of my head.

:-) Lachele
--
B. Lachele Foley, PhD '92,'02
Assistant Research Scientist